Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Jimmy and I go for Coffee on Cinco de Mayo

Being on the 5th floor of an historic building that faces Elliot Bay, you expect a nice breeze most days. Today I woke up to whistling wind and rain battering the apartment windows. By 9am, Pike Place Market, usually bustling with vendors setting up their booths for the day, looked dead. I'm sure the inside booths will be in full swing by 10:30 or so as usual, jam packed with tourists- what better thing to do on a dreary day like this?

I spy on the market visitors to determine how I will dress for the day. Hmmmm, are most people wearing jackets and hats, jeans and t-shirts or shorts and tank tops? The weather varies like that on a daily basis and sometimes my "weather dude" who hangs in the kitchen gets it all wrong. Today he says it's 50 degrees, he is dressed in long pants and long-sleeved shirt...and his sun is shining. No umbrella. Does he somehow knows he's in Seattle? When I moved here people said locals didn't carry umbrellas but that's not entirely true. On days like this you definitely need one, but most Seattle rainy days are on and off spits and sputters between sun breaks. A hat is a better choice, especially downtown where an umbrella can be a nightmare to maneuver on the busy sidewalks.

I got another compliment on my Jimmy Carter coffee mug today (a gift from my brother who was going to sell it on craigslist until I saw it and HAD to have it) down at Caffe' Lieto. Everyone loves Jimmy with his peanutty patina and cheery smile! Got my cafe americano and stepped outside to people watch for just a few minutes before getting to work on my job search for the day and writing this post.

WAIT! Whaaat? Does that Asian woman walking toward me on the sidewalk in rolled-up designer skinny jeans, high heeled Jimmy Choo's, a Louis Vuitton on one arm and a Coach on the other have rabies? She's foaming at the mouth! Oh my God, this is weird and a little scary...ohhhh, OK, she's just brushing her teeth...and spitting the foam out on the sidewalk right in front of the entrance to my building. OK, that's all it was. Not weird at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment