Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Old Naked Man, where are you tonight?

OK, when you're a smoker and you live in an apartment with no balcony you go up to the roof a lot. When you're on the roof smoking, there's nothing else to do but look around. When your building is sandwiched between 20 or so others, you look into the lit up apartments. That's how I discovered Old Naked Man.

Old Naked Man lives alone. He's pretty old, as evidenced by his hunched posture and hobbled walk. I can't see him clearly and, no, I'm not going to post any photos. His blinds are never closed. He has nothing to hide.

The first time I noticed Old Naked Man was one evening about 9:30pm. He was fully naked, facing away from me standing in front of his bedroom closet. He turned to face the window and his bed, slowly and carefully laid down, pulled his red blanket over himself, left the light on and went to sleep. Old Naked Man is ordinarily energy conscious, except for when he's sleeping. When he shuffles out of the kitchen, he turns out the light...same goes for when he shuffles from his bedroom.

His kitchen table is at the window. Last night he was up late. It was past 11:30pm and he was up making what I guessed was a cup of tea. He sat at the kitchen table with his cup for just a moment before retreating to the bedroom to sit on the edge of the bed facing away from me. Reading perhaps? Praying? Reflecting? Wishing he could get some sleep?

Tonight it's 11:30pm again and the bedroom light is on but Old Naked Man is nowhere to be seen. The kitchen light is off. Thankfully I can't see the bathroom and I'm not sure if he has any other rooms in his apartment. So where are you Old Naked Man? What's keeping you up so late these past few night?

3 comments:

  1. Love the story on the Old Naked Man - that would be something I would do, watch people!!!... and why not write stories about them. Since I do like to stare anyway. :) Now you do need to continue this one, as we want to make sure nothing happened to the old man!!

    I think the whole idea of this blog is awesome! Jealous! *g* Wish I could pull that of. BUT... right now I wouldn't have the time anyway.
    Well, I'll be sure to join in here and there....
    Love ya
    Your German friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to worry, my anonymous German friend, the saga of Old Naked Man will continue...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimmie, this is written so beautifully that I actully feel as if I am sharing a smoke on the roof with you...or wish I were..this is also so very sad. I reflect on my life alot lately...is it a sign of old age??? Hope not....maybe mid life...knowing me I would be compelled to go visit with some of those treats you so enjoy from Michou....but with how the world is today...maybe not...
    Thank you for the blog...I love keeping tabs on you..."sisters at heart"...

    ReplyDelete